January 16, 2009

MUN: Mocking United Nations

I joined MUN because I wanted to participate in discussion of world issues and learn more. So far has been a good experience. But, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed, because it is starting to move away from what I've thought.

Ignorance

I honestly don't know why some people are in this club. Ok, you are assigned to a country, so do the homework, a.k.a. the fucking research on your country's foreign policy. There have been cases where US team up with Russia, China, and Venezuela on a resolution paper. Uh, hello? Last time I checked my world history the three latter countries don't have the same interests. You are supposed to represent. That's it, represent. If your country says it doesn't want to work with certain countries, you shouldn't. And it annoys me more when those people try to justify their resolution papers when really, they don't know a thing.

Nonsense

When it comes to debate on resolving an issue, it's hopeless. For instance, last meeting the scenario was like this:

Topic: Conflict in Gaza

Question: How should the UN enforce a cease-fire on both sides?

Content of Debate:
- It's Hamas' fault
- It's Israel's fault
- 900 women are dying
- Some random proposal involving Santa Claus and amusement parks

What the fuck? Are you serious? The entire debates are so off track. That's why I barely talk and listen.

Pretense

Around October, we were informed by our executives that two people will be selected based on weekly performance to Global MUN that is held by UN itself in Geneva, Switzerland. Yup, you go there, you'll meet Secretary General and other important UN figures. Well, yea that's definitely something to mention on your resume or applicaiton for anything. Since then people would just go up and talk nonsense, just to impress the executives. Everytime I hear that, I snooze. Like hardcore. And they all act so close and personal with them.

Conclusion

I guess drama never solely belonged to high school.

2 comments:

  1. um. that doesn't sounds like much fun.
    900 women dying...can you say patriarchal hegemony? stupid save the women propaganda. and santa clause...i don't even know what to say. haha.

    hang in there buddy. you might be the only hope in saving the mun world right now. but then again, this might actually be a pretty accurate picture of world politics - contradictions, misinformation, unsound judgments/incompetence, and of course, a healthy dose of drama.

    anyway. i hope you still get something out of it :)

    which MUN is this by the way? McGill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I hope they do not become future UN people/ambassadors. If they do, I hope they learned a ton from this .... "nonsense".
    2. McCoskey trained you well. Jayo, be the one that conquers the empty headed. I mean, come on, you are CHINESE after all :D!

    ReplyDelete