November 29, 2008

Reminiscence. Friends. Growth

I was reminiscing few hours ago. I remembered the time I had in high school, and I compared and contrasted with that of university.

Both are definitely different. I'm not talking about academics, but social life.

People who have known me since elementary, middle school, or high school will find me a happy person all the time. It is true, I was happy and somewhat airy. But, like any other adolescent, I didn't have all so fabulous time in high school. No, I was not depressed; I just want to clarify that I did somewhat struggled to associate with my peers. I did not associate or hang out with people I didn't like, thanks to my observant quality and good judgement. Yet, that did not prevent me from hateful comments or rumors against me.

I tried really hard not to let those comments affect me, but it was really hard when things were so obvious and that I can point things out easily. I was somewhat self-conscious of my actions, behaviour, words, and many more. I felt I started to be about pleasing people, which let to some discomfort.

While I was in high school, I was really positive that I was a very approachable, warm, kind-hearted boy, but yet there were some peers, students, teachers, and faculty members who expressed some disatisfaction or distaste against me. I actually felt that I had social problems, as if I was a distant, cold, mean-hearted person.

But thank goodness high school was only four years. Ever since coming to Canada, I've learned and grown to be a better person. Quebec was my first stop and I made lots of friends, same with Toronto and again in Sherbrooke. I've learned I was not the one who had problems. I made friends easily and people are happy to see me. It's not my problem that people don't like me. That's their problem. With this in mind, I have rebuilt and regained the confidence I had lost.

I'll be going back to Taiwan, and I will visit Morrison, since I was there for 12 years. I know there will still be some people who did not like me, and not surprisingly they will be talking things about me. Wether they are good or bad, I don't care.

I'm only visiting the Morrison I know, which only includes the people I care and those who cared for me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man. I don't know when I'll be going back to Morrison. But from what I've heard from my brother, things looks very different. It will be disorientating. Give another few years, and it will be even more unrecognizable.

    I am very happy that Canada has been a good experience.

    As cheesy and cliche-ish as this may sound,
    keep believing in yourself.

    On a completely dif. subject, from what I've gathered from the news, Taiwan's politics regarding A-Bien is like a huge joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. You were always a spunky friend, but I loved it for the most part.
    2. Something about pleasing God turned outwards to pleasing man causes much pain in the head and the rear end.
    3. That's what I have been learning; choosing friends wisely, who to give, cept you had it down since high school.
    4. it's okay. the ones that matters are the ones you talk to ten years from when you first met =)

    ReplyDelete